When you are filing Form 2290 for 25 or more vehicles, IRS recommends filing 2290 form electronically. But the IRS encourages to e-file Form 2290 even if you are filing for a single vehicle. While you e-file the Form 2290, the process is quick and you receive the stamped Schedule 1 instantly after the IRS approval.
E-filing the IRS Form 2290 is simple in 3 Steps
Step 1 : Gather Required Information
- Employer Identification Number (EIN): While you e-file form 2290, you require an EIN mandatory. You cannot use the Social Security Number (SSN) instead of EIN. If you do not have a EIN apply for it immediately. It takes two weeks for the new EIN to get updated in the IRS system.
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for the vehicles which needs to be filed.
- Taxable gross weight of each vehicle that needs to be filed.
Step 2: Choose Best E-file Provider
- Check the list of e-file tax service providers and pick the one who meets your criteria.
- Fees and the service offered by each e-file service provider differ.
- Follow the instructions by the service providers to complete your e-filing.
- Note that, you cannot e-file IRS Form 2290 on the IRS.gov. You need to select any of the participating Etax2290 software providers.
Step 3: Choose Payment Option We have 3 different payment options to pay your 2290 tax dues to the IRS.
Electronic Funds Withdrawal / Direct Debit:
- The IRS initiates the funds withdrawal process from the mentioned bank account. The tax filer must have enough funds to honor the tax payment.
Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS):
- Unlike the other payment method, the tax filer must initiate the payment process and need to make the payment on time. To make the payment through EFTPS method, you need to create an account at eftps.gov. Initiate the payment before a business day of the payment date.
Check or Money Order:
- You can also make the payment through check or money order even if you e-file Form 2290. To do so, print the payment voucher 2290 V and mail the same to the IRS
Send the voucher 2290-V to the below address:
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 804525
OH 45280 4525.
After the Form 2290 is accepted by the IRS, you will receive the stamped Schedule 1 copy. Make sure whether the watermark on the printed schedule 1 copy is visible before presenting to the department of state motor vehicles.