We will calculate exactly how much Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) you owe to the IRS. Then you can choose any one of the following payment options to pay amount to the IRS.
IRS Payment Methods to E-File Form 2290
- Direct Debit or Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW)
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
- Check or Money Order
Direct Debit or Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW)
Direct Debit or Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW) payment option authorizes to the IRS to withdraw the tax amount from your bank account directly. IRS requires your Bank Account Number, Routing Transit Number, Account Type (Savings or Checking) and Amount to deduct the tax liabilities. You can find this information on your check.
This electronic payment is made on the day when IRS Form 2290 tax is e-filed or on confirmed EFW payment date when the Form 2290 is transmitted. Partial tax payments are not available with Direct Debit. This payment option is free, convenient, safe and secure. All you need to have is enough funds in your bank account to honor the tax payment.
Note to Remember
If you paid the HVUT tax amount via Direct Debit or EFTPS and received the mail from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) stating that they were unable to process the payment, then the reasons might be as stated below:
- If you entered bank account and routing number incorrectly while e-filing Form 2290. Even when a single digit is entered incorrectly then it will prevent the IRS from being able to withdraw your owed tax amount.
- When there are no sufficient funds in your debit account then the IRS will not able to withdraw the amount.
- If you want to cancel payment, contact IRS E-file payment services at 1-888-353-4537 at least before 2 business days of settling your tax. It will available only for who is E-file Form 2290.
- Tax Payments through EFW option can’t able done after closing of your Form 2290 Tax return.
Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
U.S Department of the Treasury offers the free service of Electronic Federal Tax Payment System to benefit the tax professionals, individuals, federal agencies, businesses and payroll services. All the federal truck taxes are paid using EFTPS and is accepted by the IRS.
This payment option is accurate, quick and secure. Through EFTPS, you can make the tax payment using the website EFTPS or call 1-800-555-4477 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Follow the 2290 instructions to create a free account and it takes 10 business days to create the account.
Note to Remember
- Enroll EFTPS at least 10 business days before filing your IRS 2290 Form as it takes time to register.
- You are responsible for scheduling the tax payment and initiate at least a day before the IRS 2290 deadline.
- Using EFTPS, you need to schedule your tax payment. Initiate your transaction at least 1 business day before the HVUT due date. Hence, the IRS gets enough time to collect the tax amount before the deadline.
Check or Money Order
You can also make the HVUT tax payment non-electronically through Check or Money Order. Print the completed payment voucher, 2290-V from page 11 of your completed HVUT Form 2290 and mail it along with your payment to the IRS.
Note to Remember
- Never send the cash to IRS.
- When you have filed Form 2290 electronically, then it is not advisable to send your Form 2290 or Stamped Schedule 1 along with the payment voucher.
- The payee of the check or money order is the "United States Treasury".
- Enter your name, EIN, contact address, date (when you file your return on your payment check or money order), and mention, "Form 2290".
- Do not staple the payment voucher and Form 2290 together.
- Mail your payment and 2290 -V Voucher to:
Internal Revenue Service,
P. O. Box 804525,
OH 45280 4525.
Etax2290.com secures all your payments through latest security technology. Choose the payment option that is convenient for you during the IRS 2290 e-filing process. Etax2290 tax calculator computes your tax amount and all you need to pick the payment option. We offer professional e-filing services and expert guidance throughout the Form 2290 e-filing process.